A Gathering Place for Comedy Writers and Performers
Joke Writing Competition #3
“Mom & Dad”
Remember that time you got grounded for no good reason? Well, now is your chance to get even. In honor of the Spring release of Gene Perret and Linda Perret latest books Mother Always Knows Best (At Least According to Her) and Old Age Is the Absence of Youth (And a Lot of Other Things) ROUND TABLE is hosting a joke writing contest. And Moms and Dads everywhere better watch out.
Gene and Linda finished writing their lines but now it’s your turn. For this competition we want your original jokes, gags & funny lines on Mom, Dad, or Mom & Dad.
Your lines can poke fun, be heartfelt, or even a little bit mean…but remember mom and dad can still write you out of the will. Overall, though, your lines should be funny.
Prizes: Prizes will be offered for the 3 jokes that get the most points: 1st Place - $100; 2nd Place - $50; 3rd Place - $25. 5 Honorable Mentions will receive a $10 Round Table Gift Certificate. Each one of your jokes will be judged on an individual basis. Lines should be crisp, sharp, and solid laugh getters. Each qualifying entry that doesn’t win a cash or honorable mention prize will be entered in a random drawing for a $10 Round Table Gift Certificate.
Entry Fee: There is a $5.00 fee per entry for up to 5 jokes. All five lines must be submitted in the same entry and at the same time. You may submit less than 5 lines but the same entry fee is required. You may enter as many times as you like but a new fee is required for each submission (of up to 5 jokes). The entry fee is waived for Gene Perret’s Round Table Subscribers (must be a current subscriber when entry is received or submission will be disqualified). Entry Fees are non-refundable.
All qualified entries will receive a review of their submissions along with a bookmark/gift tag that features an original poem by Gene Perret called “The Comedy Writer”
1. Jokes must be original.
2. All jokes must be numbered.
3. No more than 5 jokes in each submittal.
4. Your name and mailing address must appear on each page of submission or within the email.
5. Submissions can be sent electronically by email at RTComedy@cwo.com. Entry must be contained within the body of the email with “Contest” in the subject line. Attachments will be deleted unopened. Or you may enter by mail at Round Table, PO Box 786, Agoura Hills, CA 91376
6. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry (up to 5 jokes) must be sent/emailed separately and accompanied by the $5 entry fee. Entry Fees can be submitted by credit card online at www.comedywritersroom.com/store or by check. Entry Fees can be paid prior to or along with submittal. Material submitted without fee (and not current RT subscribers) will be disqualified. Entry Fees are not refundable. The Entry Fee is waived for people who are current subscribers of Round Table at the time of entry. You can subscribe to Round Table at www.comedywritersroom.com/store.
7. All entries must be received by March 25, 2016.
8. Jokes selected by Round Table as finalists will be posted on the website for voting. Voting will be open until April 30, 2016.
9. Winners will be determined by May 2, 2016. Decisions by the judges are final. Round Table will break any ties. Payment will be by check in US Funds, drawn on a US Bank unless other arrangements are agreed to by Round Table.
10. All material is the property of the writer. By entering you allow Round Table to print any or all of your lines on its website and/or in related PR.
11. Any submission not in compliance with these rules will be disqualified and ineligible for any prizes.
12. Acknowledgement of submissions will not be sent.
13. If the above rules are not followed, entry will be disqualified, entry fee forfeited, and ineligible to be placed on the webpage for voting. So please review your entry carefully.
Judging: Round Table will select the finalists from the lines received but the voting is going to be open to anyone who visits our webpage. There is no limit to how many lines one writer may have on the finalist list. Finalists will be posted to our website anonymously for 30 days and viewers will be able to vote for their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite jokes. 5 points will be awarded for 1stplace; 3 points for second; and 1 for 3rd. Points will be tallied at the end of the voting period and prizes awarded. After the voting period, the writer’s name will be posted with his or her line on the webpage.
Of course, we will have to have some rules for the voting
1. Anyone who visits the website will be able to vote. They will be instructed to send an email to us with their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite joke. Round Table will be soliciting people to vote and we will encourage you to do the same.
2. Only one voting submission per email address. The earliest submission will be accepted.
3. Votes must be included in the text of the email. Attachments will not be opened and will be deleted.
4. Round Table is not responsible for misdirected or un-received emails.
5. You do not need to include your name and/or address in the email to vote.
6. The rules for voting must be followed. Judging submissions that do not conform to the rules will not be included in the judging process.
7. Participants in the Competition are eligible to vote, but the same rules apply.
Mother Always Knows Best (At Least According to Her) and Old Age Is the Absence of Youth (And a Lot of Other Things) will be available in April 2016. Pre-Orders are being accepted. ROUND TABLE will be offering a free gift with all pre-order purchased through our store.
Information on the free gifts will be available shortly.