A Gathering Place for Comedy Writers and Performers
Comedy Monologue Writing Contest
And the Winners are...
We were very pleased with the response we got to this contest. The quality of the submissions were exceptional and the judging that much more difficult. It was apparent that a lot of work went into the entries. Everyone who entered should be congratulated.
But of course, there can only be one winner...okay only one first place winner. There is a second, third and some honorable mentions.
Here are the winners:
1st Place - Don Vannice
2nd Place - Eileen Whitmore
3rd Place - Nancy Jo Perdue
5 Honorable Mentions:
1 drawing from all eligible entries – Celine Elliott
Congratulations to all the winners. Prizes are on their way to you. Also we will be sending out the reviews of your work as promised.
We had a lot of fun doing the contest and would like to do more. So check back here for the next event. (If you have any suggestions on what you’d like the next contest to be, we’d love to hear them...just send us an email with your ideas...email@example.com)
Joke Writing Contest #1
Part of writing comedy is writing for someone other than ourselves. As a writer, you need to be able to supply material on specifics needs of a specific client. A lot of times we aren’t familiar with the person but still have to churn out gags as if we’ve known them all our lives. And that’s what this contest caters to. We’ve made up a “client” for you…completely fictional. Your job is to generate lines specifically for Sidney “Irv” Irving.
Prizes and Judging: We won’t be offering 1st, 2nd or 3rd place prizes this time. Instead we will be awarding $25 to the top eight jokes (as determined by Round Table) and you can win more than one cash prize. One writer could win $25 or $200 depending on how many times he/she enters. Each one of your jokes will be judged on an individual basis. Lines should be crisp, sharp, and solid laugh getters. Judging will be based on the elements provided on the Criteria List. We also will be offering a random drawing of a $10 Round Table Gift Certificate. All persons who enter and don’t win a cash prize will be entered in the drawing and one certificate will be awarded.
Criteria: We’ve developed a “Criteria List” for your client, Irv Irving. You can request your copy of the Criteria List by sending us an email at RTComedy@cwo.com or an SASE to: RT, PO Box 786, Agoura Hills, CA 91376.
Entry Fee: There is a $5.00 fee per entry for up to 5 jokes. All five jokes must be submitted in the same entry and at the same time. You may submit less than 5 lines but the same entry fee is required. You may enter as many times as you like but a new fee is required for each submission (up to 5 jokes). The entry fee is waived for Gene Perret’s Round Table Subscribers – must be a current subscriber when entry is received or submission will be disqualified. The Entry Fees are non-refundable.
1. All jokes must be numbered.
2. No more than 5 jokes in each submittal.
3. Your name and mailing address must appear on each page of submission or within the email.
4. Submissions can be sent electronically by email at RTComedy@cwo.com. Entry must be contained within the email with the subject heading “Contest Entry.” Attachments will be deleted unopened. Or you may enter by mail at Round Table, PO Box 786, Agoura Hills, CA 91376.
5. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry (up to 5 jokes) must be sent/emailed separately and accompanied by the $5 entry fee. Entry Fees can be submitted by credit card online at www.comedywritersroom.com/store or by check. Entry Fees can be paid prior to or along with submittal. Material submitted without fee (and not current RT subscribers) will be disqualified. Entry Fees are not refundable. The Entry Fee is waived for people who are current subscribers of Round Table at the time of entry. You can subscribe to Round Table at www.comedywritersroom.com/store.
6. All entries must be received by November 30, 2013.
7. Prizes will be awarded by December 15, 2013. Decisions by the judges are final.
8. All material is the property of the writer. By entering you allow Round Table to print any or all of your lines on its website and/or in related PR.
9. Any submission not in compliance with these rules will be disqualified and ineligible for any prizes.
10. Acknowledgement of submissions will not be sent.